South African Apricot Spiced Chicken Sosaties
- 2 onion cut into fine rings
- oil for panfrying
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds crushed
- 5 bay leaves bruised
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp curry powder mild
- 1 tsp ground ginger or 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger heaped
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1. Make the marinade first, as it has to cool down completely. Use a large pot.
- 2. Fry the onion rings in oil until light brown. Stir now and then.
- 3. While the onions fry, mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- 4. Now, add al the liquid ingredients together in a bowl except for the milk and water. Add the jam, garlic, and fresh ginger (if you are using) to this mixture too.
- 5. When the onions are light brown, stir in the mixed dry ingredients, and fry for a minute or so to release the flavours. Add an extra splash of oil and stir.
- 6. Turn heat lower, and add the liquids and also add the bay leaves.
- 7. Stir well and simmer slowly until thickened. Now taste carefully: the sauce should neither be too acidic or too sweet but rather spicy and tangy. Adjust by adding either a little more vinegar or lemon juice, or more sugar.
- 8. Cool the sauce, and stir in the milk. It must be of a coating consistency. If you think it is too thick, add a little bit of water and stir well. Leave sauce in the pot, and cut up the meat.
- 9. Cut the meat into bite-sized chunks, not too small.
- 10. Arrange the chicken on the skewers, alternating the different ingredients.
- 11. Take the pot of sauce, roll each sosatie skewer in the sauce, and pack in a plastic container. When all the skewers have been "sauced" up, poor the leftover sauce over the sosaties in the container. Seal airtight and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- 12. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side in a pan over medium-high heat.
Want to stay in the loop of all our latest and greatest nutrition info & food tips and tricks?
Join our Community!
We LOVE to share our favourite family recipes, cooking tips and tricks for busy parents, motivational boosts (because we all need it once in a while) and everything in between. We want to see you again, so join our community and show us some love!