Mexican Cornbread Muffins with Bell Peppers & Corn
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup low-fat dairy milk or buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp jalapeno pepper finely chopped (optional)
- 1-2 cup sharp cheese shredded
- ¾ tsp sweet paprika or 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder if using garlic salt, omit the salt earlier
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- 1. Pre-heat oven with muffin tin tray in – this allows the cornbread to crisp up on the edges.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and spices.
- 3. In another bowl, combine the beaten eggs with oil, cream-style corn, onion, peppers, and cheese.
- 4. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until moistened.
- 5. Take muffin tin tray out of the oven and grease using a spray oil or brush.
- 6. Pour into baking pan and bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes, or until cornbread is browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
Want to stay in the loop of all our latest and greatest nutrition info & food tips and tricks?
Join our Community!
We LOVE to share our favourite family recipes, cooking tips and tricks for busy parents, motivational boosts (because we all need it once in a while) and everything in between. We want to see you again, so join our community and show us some love!