Mango Curried Chicken, Prunes & Millet Warm Salad
- 2 chicken breasts cubed (or substitute for chickpeas for a vegetarian meal)
- 1 cup millet dried
- 2 ½ cups spinach fresh
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary fresh
- ½ cup California prunes cut in half
- ¼ cup apricots chopped
- ¼ cup pecans
- ¼ cup feta cubed
- 1 tbsp curry I used Epicure's Mango Curry)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- olive oil to taste
- pomegranate optional
- Boil 2 cups of water or broth for cooking the millet
- Heat up a medium size pan on medium heat
- Cut up chicken breast into bite size pieces - set aside
- Toast pecans for 3 minutes and stir gently until they're toasted but not burnt. Remove to a plate and set aside
- In a medium size pot, cook millet (2 cups of boiled water or stock; 1 cup of millet)
- Add oil to pan; add cumin seeds & fennel seeds - allow them to toast to bring out the earthy aroma
- Add chopped onion, cubed chicken breast & curry spice mix; salt & pepper to preference - cook for 10-12 minutes until fully cooked
- Add sprig of rosemary, and allow the aroma to release and get integrated with the chicken
- Remove rosemary and set chicken mix aside
- Prep dressing: lemon juice (or balsamic), olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Layer salad: Millet, fresh spinach, cooked chicken mix, prunes, apricots, pomegranate (if using), toasted pecans & feta.
Want to stay in the loop of all our latest and greatest nutrition info & food tips and tricks?
Join our Community!
We LOVE to share our favourite family recipes, cooking tips and tricks for busy parents, motivational boosts (because we all need it once in a while) and everything in between. We want to see you again, so join our community and show us some love!