Kabocha Squash Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 oz elbow macaroni noodles
- 2 ½ tbsp butter
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil plus extra
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk 2%, 1% or skim
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 kabocha squash peeled and cubed
- ½ head cauliflower cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small head broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- Black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- 2. Transfer peeled and cubed kabocha squash to a parchment paper lined baking sheet; drizzle olive oil; sprinkle salt & pepper. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until very tender.
- 3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil; add macaroni.
- 4. Sautee broccoli and cauliflower in a large pan. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- 5. Drain macaroni, toss with olive oil and set aside (do not rinse!).
- 6. Transfer roasted kabocha squash to a food processor or blender. Puree the mixture until very smooth. You could add a knob of butter or milk if you want to make it more creamy and silky.
- 7. Heat 2.5 tbsp of butter and 2.5 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When it’s bubbly and fragrant, whisk in the flour. Mixture that forms is called a Roux - which is used to make thickened sauces.
- 8. Turn heat to medium and slowly whisk in the milk, 1⁄2 cup at a time, waiting until each batch is fully incorporated with the roux before adding more.
- 9. Mix in kabocha squash puree. Fold in sautéed veggies.
- 10. When milk mixture is thick and creamy, turn off the heat, add the spices and cheese, and toss it with the pasta. Serve immediately.
Want to stay in the loop of all our latest and greatest nutrition info & food tips and tricks?
Join our Community!
We LOVE to share our favourite family recipes, cooking tips and tricks for busy parents, motivational boosts (because we all need it once in a while) and everything in between. We want to see you again, so join our community and show us some love!