Did you know that by adding spices like cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, or ginger to your families’ dishes will add sweet flavour notes without the added sugar? Similarly, spices like rosemary, basil, tarragon, cumin, garlic powder, or oregano can add savoury flavours without the added salt.
Try these kid-approved combinations:
- Apple Sauce or Blended Frozen Bananas with cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, nutmeg, ginger
- Yams or Squash with nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom
- Carrots with basil and garlic – baked cinnamon carrots are yummy too
- Mashed Potatoes with dill weed or garlic
- Oatmeal or other Cereals with fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of vanilla
- Quinoa (sweet) with cinnamon, nutmeg, a dash of vanilla, cardamom, ginger for sweet
- Quinoa (savoury) with cumin, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, basil, and other herbs
Some Common Spice Blends on the Market:
- Tex Mex: Chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, red chili flakes, oregano, and black pepper.
- Garam Masala (download our homemade Garma Masala recipe down below!): Cumin, coriander, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, and bay leaves.
- Cajun Blend: Garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes
- Chinese Five Spice: Cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Szechwan peppercorns.
- Herbs De Provence: Rosemary, marjoram, thyme, savory, lavender, bay leaf, and fennel.
- Za’atar: Sumac, thyme, oregano, marjoram and sesame seeds.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.