Gluten Free Spice Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 ½ cup oat flour **
- ½ cup quinoa flour ***
- ½ cup brown rice flour ***
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup raw sugar or your choice of sweetener
- 1 cup vegetable oil I use sunflower oil
- ⅓ cup milk or dairy-free milk or orange juice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup cranberries
- ⅓ cup almonds or walnuts
- 1. In a stand-up mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat eggs, sugar and orange zest till fluffy (about 10-12 min). The colour will be a yellowish-hue white fluffy mixture, that rises up to at least middle of the bowl.
- 2. Preheat oven to 300 deg F.
- 3. Grease cake or loaf pan with veg oil or use a brush and grease it using Tahini; set aside.
- 4. Sprinkle dried fruit on the bottom of the pan (alternatively, you could sprinkle sugar and fresh, thin, slices of apple, banana or pineapple – the sugar will melt and caramelize while the fruit cooks).
- 5. Add oil in a stream to the bowl and allow to integrate and emulsify; this helps the eggs to stay fluffy.
- 6. Add the baking powder, and spices – allow to mix well.
- 7. Add all the flour mixes to the bowl incrementally – 1/3 cup at a time.
- 8. Add 1/3 cup of milk which will allow the quinoa flour to cook.
- 9. Add chosen nuts mix (almonds or walnuts).
- 10. Pour mixture into your cake or loaf pan.
- 11. Bake for 45-60 min on 300; check the middle using a toothpick or wooden skewer until dry.
- 12. Tap cake and flip on a serving tray or platter.
- 13. Allow cake to cool before cutting.
Want to stay in the loop of all our latest and greatest nutrition info & food tips and tricks?
Join our Community!
We LOVE to share our favourite family recipes, cooking tips and tricks for busy parents, motivational boosts (because we all need it once in a while) and everything in between. We want to see you again, so join our community and show us some love!