Easy All-purpose Tomato Sauce for Pasta and Pizza
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 gloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 260 g diced tomatoes canned
- spices of your choice italian herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, sage), crushed chili peppers, cayenne, paprika, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, etc; to taste
- pinch salt and pepper sometimes I use soy sauce instead of salt
- fresh parsley to taste, chopped
- fresh basil to taste, chopped
- ½ cup red lentils dried (swap out for cooked/canned lentils to cut some time)
- extra veggies (optional): mushrooms, carrots, celery, zucchini, etc.
- 1. Heat a pan with olive oil to medium heat.
- 2. Add diced onions, coating them evenly in oil. If the pan seems dry, add more oil or a splash of water. Cover and let onions cook down for 30 minutes, checking on them regularly to make sure they are caramelizing and not burning. They are ready when they are nicely browned and soft, and cooked down to about a third of their original size.
- 3. Add chopped garlic and sautée for 1-2 minutes. Add chopped veggies (if using) and sautée with garlic for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- 4. Add your spices and cook for a few minutes until very fragrant, but not burnt.
- 5. Add diced or pureed tomatoes, split red lentil (if using) and parsley or basil (if using), stirring well.
- 6. Cook down tomatoes until they bind with the onions, forming a nice paste and the lentils are fully cooked (20-30 minutes). At this point, you can add more water for a thinner sauce.
Want to stay in the loop of all our latest and greatest nutrition info & food tips and tricks?
Join our Community!
We LOVE to share our favourite family recipes, cooking tips and tricks for busy parents, motivational boosts (because we all need it once in a while) and everything in between. We want to see you again, so join our community and show us some love!