Asparagus, Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Salad (Low-Fat version)
For the salad:
- 2 cups lettuce leaves shredded, not chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus spears blanched
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 4-5 radishes circular slices
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced rings
- 8-12 slices prosciutto light/low fat; very thin slices
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbled
- ½ cup walnuts halved
For the dressing:
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbled
- ¾ cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white wine or 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- ⅛ tbsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- splash skim milk to thin the dressing if desired
- 1. To blanch asparagus, bring water to a boil and prepare an ice bath or very cold water separately. Drop the asparagus in the boiling water for only 2 min. Then remove and place in the ice bath; this will cease the cooking and result in bright green and crunchy vegetables. Remove from ice bath and pat dry with paper towel.
- 2. Mix dressing. In a small bowl, mash blue cheese and yogurt together with a fork. Stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, and garlic powder until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Note: I didn't have the 1tbsp white wine vinegar, so I used double the amount in regular white wine (2 tbsp). I also wanted the dressing consistency to be more runny, so I thinned it out with skim milk.
- 3. Assemble salad on a plate or platter. First, place shredded lettuce on the plate followed by evenly distributing the onion rings, radish slices, and tomatoes over top. Next, lay asparagus spears in a circular fashion (like in the photo) then top with prosciutto slices, walnut halves and crumbled blue cheese. Last, drizzle the dressing over top and voila!
Want to stay in the loop of all our latest and greatest nutrition info & food tips and tricks?
Join our Community!
We LOVE to share our favourite family recipes, cooking tips and tricks for busy parents, motivational boosts (because we all need it once in a while) and everything in between. We want to see you again, so join our community and show us some love!